Saturday, May 14, 2011

Disney Day One: Magic Kingdom

Okay, so I won't have time to give the rundown on the entire past week vacation in one little blog post. So I'm going to go day-by-day. I'll probably be completely boring and way over-detailed, but I want to have this all written out for me to look back on later, and it's a lot easier to type on my blog than write in my journal. So bear with me. :P
Well, we started our vacation with a five-and-a-half hour drive from Robins Air Force Base, Georgia, to Orlando, Florida.  (For new readers, we is me, my dad, my mom, and my three brothers: Eddie, Jon, and Nick.)  We watched The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and followed that with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian.  (Ben Barnes is amazing. I love Caspian!! <3)  We arrived a half-hour earlier than planned and, consequently, were able to check into our cabin early.  We stayed at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort, which was very nice. (Except for a few allergy issues. Seasonal allergies are all too common and easily set off these days.)
After settling in (and settling the Big Issue of who-gets-which-bed: Eddie-top bunk, Jon-bottom bunk, Nick and Emily-double bed), we took a bus and a ferry to the Magic Kingdom.
Our first stop was at the Swiss Family Treehouse, which was number 4 on my list, and also something my mother wanted to see. It was bigger than I expected, and very cool. There almost isn't enough time to take it all in; it was great.
(I will be posting pictures of everything later, since I didn't take any and thus will have to wait to copy all of Dad's pictures. Hence I will, for now, post pictures from the Disney website.)

Then we picked up FastPasses for the Jungle Cruise ride, and hopped over to Pirates of the Caribbean. They've changed it since our last visit, 5 years ago, and they added a few parts with Captain Jack Sparrow.
We looked around in the gift shop afterwards, but nothing worth buying caught our eyes.  So, we hiked over to Splash Mountain and picked up FastPasses; then we went back to Jungle Cruise to use our first ones. (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for all ages)

At this point Nick was complaining that all the rides were boring boat rides, so we went for a ride on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which is a pretty cool roller coaster. (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for older kids, preteens, teens, and adults)
Our Splash Mountain FastPasses weren't good yet, so we trekked back through the heart of the park into Tomorrowland.  Mom and Dad wanted to go on Space Mountain, but the wait was an hour long.  We couldn't get any more FastPasses until the Splash Mountain ones were good, so we ended up going to Stitch's Great Escape! It was cool, but I think it's mostly for younger kids. Not too young, though... it could creep nightmare-prone kids.
Anyway, after that we rode Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for all ages) By the time we got out of there, it was dark out.  Cinderella's Castle looks lovely and night, with blue and pink and orange lights reflecting off the white towers. (Thought I'd throw that in there.)
After all three of my brothers soundly whooped my pathetic shooting score, we returned to Space Mountain and discovered that the hour had dropped to a mere 20 minutes! Needless to say, we got in line right quick.  It was one amazing roller coaster ride - in the dark, with super pretty lights!
After that adventure, we decided it was too late and chilly to get wet on Splash Mountain.  So, we got in line for Tomorrowland Speedway, which Nick had been dying to go on.
(I might add that the speedway looks a lot cooler at night.) Then we decided that it wasn't really THAT cold, and Nick REALLY wanted to go on 'the log ride with the big drop,' so we DID go to Splahs Mountain.  Right as we were getting in line, the 'Wishes' firework show started. The ride was way different than the last time we went - they changed the whole thing, and added a lot of story stuff. It was really neat. The best part, however, was that the 'Wishes' finale went off right as we went down the big drop! It was amazing, and absolutely perfect timing.

After ice cream on Main Street for Dad, Nick, and I; Coke for Eddie; and popsicles for Mom and Jon; we journeyed to Fantasyland.  (My personal favorite)  The Mickey's PhilharMagic show had a 15 minute wait, so we started there. It was a cool 3D show about Donald stealing Mickey's Sorcerer's hat and then having to chase it through a bunch of Disney animated movies, trying to retrieve it before Mickey discovers that it's missing.
Then we snagged a FastPass for Peter Pan's Flight and hopped in line for Mom's all-time favorite Disney attraction: "it's a small world."  (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for all ages) This one has also been changed a lot since our last visit - the dolls are newer and more realistic, and the music doesn't have the words in various languages like it used to.

We then headed to the Prince Charming Regal Carrousel, which we kids rode two or three times. (The rides the boys liked best really surprised me. They all wanted to go on Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, which I didn't expect.  Then Eddie even said he'd go on Winnie the Pooh! We all ended up going, but still... surprising.  I was also a little surprised to discover how much Jon and Nick liked the carrousel. Eddie and Nick's interest in the tea cup ride was a little less shocking.)
(Once again, this ride looks a lot prettier at night.)
Then, we rode Dumbo the Flying Elephant. (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for younger kids, preteens, and parents) The boys actually agreed with me that the Dumbo ride is the number one Disney ride!! (Shocker!!) And, as such, nobody can go to Disney and not ride Dumbo. (I mean, seriously, it is in every video or ad they use on their interent and television commercials. Mickey may be the character that defines Disney, but Dumbo the Flying Elephant is definitely the defining ride.) That said, a girl of my age can still find it rather boring. Surprisingly, the boys enjoyed it more than I did. :P Haha.

After that, we rode the Mad Tea Party twice. (Well, Eddie, Nick, and I rode it once, then Nick and I rode it again.) That was pretty fun. We took turns spinning the tea cup so the others could flip their heads around and get dizzy. :)


Then we used our Peter Pan FastPasses.  The ride was pretty cool, and bits and pieces of the last time we rode came back to me once I saw the ride again.


At this time, we got in line for Snow White's Scary Adventures.  Jon and Nick flipped out because the sign said 'scary,' but after the short movie-based ride they were like, 'That's it?'  It was really rather amusing.



Once we got off that ride, we went to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. (Notice: Family Classic Alert! for younger kids and parents) Dad had gotten FastPasses at some point; I think we kids were on the carrousel or the tea cups. It was fun, pretending to be a five-year-old again. This was one ride where the only changes were the touch-screens and play spots they placed in various parts of the line, in case little kids were getting antsy waiting in line.

Well, by now we had ridden and seen all that we had come for - and then some - and the park was closing in a short while. (It had officially closed at 11 PM, but since we were Disney Resort guests, we could stay until 2 AM.)  So, we returned to the front of the park, boarded a ferry, and eventually made it to Fort Wilderness. Then we took a bus home and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.