Friday, August 19, 2011

Book Review: Love You More


Click the cover to buy
Love You More by Jennifer Grant
The divine surprise of adopting my daughter

Following the invisible thread of connection between people who are seemingly intended to become family, journalist Jennifer Grant shares the deeply personal, often humorous story of adopting a fifteen-month-old girl from Guatemala when she was already the mother of three very young children. (From the BookSneeze site)

Grant's writing style lets you see into her life and the journey from a New York City newlywed to a mother of four and an adoption non-expert.  She speaks to you as if to her best friend and shares the true emotions and complications hiding in the world of adoption.  When I received the book, I feared it would be merely a how-to or tip book for prospective adoptive parents.  Now, though, I can with certainty say that it was nothing of the kind.

This is not a boring, factual 'everything you need to know about adoption' book.  Instead, it is a honest, personal 'this is how it went for us' journal.  The story jumps from memories before the adoption process began to a problem with red tape and back to their first meeting with their daughter, but the transitions are surprisingly smooth and the writing is usually easy to follow and connect with.

There are a few areas where the story pauses to share bits of information - about special needs children, when it's best not to adopt, and the truth about HIV, to name a few.  Most of this was important to the Grants' story and easy to read through, but one sentence jumped out at me.  Page 49 has some thoughts from another adoptive mother:

"Sometimes people remark that her girls are fortunate that she chose them.  'I get fired up about this because... all children are chosen," Pam said.  'Abortion and birth control are our rights; people can choose them.'"

I am a firm pro-lifer.  I read this part several times, trying to pass over it and finish the book, but it was like my eyes were super-glued to that sentence.  Abortion is not a right; it may currently be a choice in more parts of the country than I'd like, but that doesn't make it a human right.  Murder is never a right.

That said, I do have to point out that page 77 says many women believe abortion is not an ethical choice.  It seems the author never set out her own opinion; just laid out what she knew to be others' thoughts.  But page 49 still grabbed me, and it lowered the book's value just a little in my opinion.

I give this book 3.5 stars.

I received this book for free through BookSneeze in exchange for this review.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.