Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Review: The Rescuers

The Rescuers by Cecelia Maria Hilliard



Click the cover to buy
Strangers humiliating the king... a dangerous love triangle... and a whirlwind of secrets... will this year's feast end in tragedy?

The yearly feast is being held in King Clarence's castle this time around, but a gathering of strangers aren't happy with it.  This hooded group known only as The Rescuers is determined to convert the king from cruel to kind.  Meanwhile, Prince Derrick tries to win over Princess Victoria; Victoria has caught the eye of King Clarence; and the king is sought after by Victoria's sister Jalean.  As the secrets of the cast are slowly discovered, sword fights and magic-filled battles determine the fate of all involved.

As usual with most self-published titles, this book could use some professional editing.  Typos, misplaced punctuation, awkward wording, and the like were a bit of an eyesore.  The dialogue and behavior of the royals left me confused as to whether this was supposed to be a modern-day or medieval tale.  However, the story was very unique and well thought out.  I enjoyed the unexpected twists and the occasional use of humor and irony.

One thing I especially liked about this book was the author.  In fact, that was the whole reason I chose this book.  Cecelia Hilliard was only a junior in high school when she published this in 2001.  Even when it could use some serious editing, self-publishing your first novel in high school is impressive in my eyes.

I give this book three stars for the storyline and for the guts and hard work (and money, in this case) it took a high schooler to follow a writer's dream.

I received this book for free through the Dorrance Book Review Team in exchange for this review.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.

4 comments:

  1. i wanna start getting free books!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! You know, I've been waiting - just waiting! - for someone to say that. There are dozens of authors and publishers seeking bloggers to review and promote their books. You can find my tips for book reviewing, the programs I use or once used (I had to drop some due to my busy schedule), and my previous reviews on the My Book Reviews page. Email me with any questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you follow on this page?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mr/Ms Anonymous. :) If you're asking how to follow the blog, there are a couple of options. All the options are in the right sidebar - you might have to scroll up or down to see them.

    If you have a Networked Blogs account, you can just click the 'follow this blog' button in the Networked Blogs box.

    If you have a Google, GMail, Google Friend Connect, or Blogger account, you can click the light blue 'join this site' button above all the picture icons. (Sometimes this doesn't show up - just refresh the page and try again.)

    If you'd prefer to follow by email, just enter your email address into the 'follow by email' box.

    You can also like my page on Facebook using the little black box, and I have a Twitter account you can follow - @blogmaniac15.

    Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to follow. :) Readers are loved by bloggers, but followers and commenters are even more appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.