Thursday, January 12, 2012

One Thing In Common {guest post}

A couple months ago, I volunteered to write a guest post for Miss Emily’s blog party. I’ll be honest, I’ve never done anything like this before, and I had no idea what to write. I was thinking "What do I, a seamstress, have in common with a writer? What can I say to people who might have completely different interests than I do?" Then I realized that even though we might have different interests and talents, we all have one thing in common, and that is that we can, and should, use our different gifts to the glory of God. "Well," one might ask, "how on earth can I use my sewing abilities (for example) to bring glory to God?"

First, do whatever you do well, and not half-heartedly. Colosians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men." If God has given you gifts, use them! And do your work well. Don’t be content with sloppy or it's-good-enough work. Do your work to the best of your ability. Remember the Parable of the Talents (found in Matthew 25)? ("Talents" were a Greek measure of currency, but the English gives the word a double meaning.) The servant who used his talents to bring wealth to his master was given more, but the servant who hid his one talent had even that single one taken away. Don’t be the servant who hid his talent.

Second, find ways to bless others. Can you cook? Make a meal for someone who sick. Or (with your parents’ permission, obviously) make a big dinner and invite people who are single or don’t have many friends. Your hospitality could open their hearts to the Gospel if they are not saved, and if they are saved, you have blessed a sister or brother in Christ. Do you play an instrument well? Perhaps you could accompany the hymns in your church service, or play for the elderly at the nursing home. Do you write letters well? Write notes of encouragement to those who are sick or depressed. When you write to your pen-pals, encourage them in their walk with the Lord. Are you good with children? Volunteer in your church’s nursery, or offer to babysit for a young mother who just had another baby. These are just a few suggestions. A prayer from Mother Teresa begins:

"Christ has no body but yours, no hands, no feet on earth but yours…"

Lastly, give verbal glory to God. When someone admires your work and your abilities, give credit to the One who gave you those gifts. If we give credit to others, whether it be respecting copyright laws or citing our school papers, how much more should we give credit to God? When we accept the praises of men without directing them to One who made us, without reminding them that our abilities were only an underserved gift from God and we are only the stewards of them, we are taking credit that doesn’t belong to us; we are stealing glory from God. It only takes a few words to say "Thanks for the compliment! However, I must say that God was the one who gave me my abilities."

I leave y’all to think about this. I guess you could summarize this exhortation in three short sentences: Work hard. Serve others. Glorify God.

In Christ,

Abigail

Abigail is an self-described sewing freak and history geek, and combines those in her love of historical costuming.  She blogs about her sewing projects and other random stuff at old-fashioned beauty.

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.