Hello, my lovely readers! Happy Tuesday morning! A week ago a writer friend of mine from the Go Teen Writers Facebook group dropped by here and left a few notes for me, including a nomination for the Liebster award! Thanks Sarah!
This was actually my first time hearing about this award. It's a very nice-looking award, and of course it's always fun to hear you've won something! It reminds me of the Game of Elevens I played a while back. The old-me writing and messed-up font/highlight settings make me cringe, but I thought I ought to mention it anyway.
The Liebster award is given by winning bloggers to the blogs they follow that have 200 or fewer followers. The main purpose of this blog is to connect with new bloggers and find new blogs - any niche or kind of blog is eligible.
The rules of the Liebster award are as follows:
1. List eleven facts about yourself.
2. Answer the eleven questions set for you by your nominator.
3. Ask eleven new questions.
4. Nominate eleven bloggers you follow that qualify for the Liebster award.
5. Notify each of your nominees on their blogs.
6. Thank and link back to your nominator.
My Eleven Facts:
1. I live on a military base, in a small yellow house I'm quite fond of, only a few minutes' walk away from a store, food court, post office, and several friends' houses.
2. As part of my one word for this year, I've started a windowsill garden. My plans include lavender, strawberries, catmint, lettuce, and gourmet dwarf carrots.
3. The strawberries may not become a reality this year, as they're currently under a full-fledged mealyworm attack. My only available method of defense is a spray bottle of dish soap, rubbing alcohol, and water. Sadly, there have been many casualties and the battle does not appear to be going in our favor.
4. I eagerly await the arrival of Doctor Who Season Seven Part Two in March.
5. I choose to push away the heartbreaking reminder that my family does not have the British America television channel.
6. I'm currently playing around with the idea of opening an Etsy shop around this time next year.
7. Just last week I broke 35,000 words in my current manuscript!
8. Also last week, I discovered I have a slightly unhealthy, bordering-on-stalkerish obsession with Menchie's... after my very first visit.
9. Duct tape can fix anything, but only chocolate is a cure-all.
10. I've been keeping a very amateur art journal for the past couple of months, and while I've only put in a few 'entries,' I think it's coming along rather nicely.
11. My dreams of late have been dominated with the Doctor, his companions, the TARDIS, and several situations that upon waking I recognized from my favorite episodes. I have not yet decided if I should enjoy the closest thing to meeting my mad man in a box, or if I should be concerned about the state of my mental health.
1. If you could go to one concert for free, who would you see? Before Red, I would have answered Taylor Swift. However, after some of her latest works, I think I'll go with Tchaikovsky. I do have varied taste.
2. If jelly stopped existing, how would you make a PB&J with something else as the J? Does it have to be a letter 'J'? Because I've always preferred honey anyway. But a J... jelly beans? Jam? Jellyfish? Beef jerky? Jawbreakers? (Are juniper berries poisonous?)
3. If you could go any one place, where would you go? Oh, the question that everyone reaches at some point. Disney World is a bit of a waste, really, for just one place out of everywhere in the whole word. I'd say Ireland for beauty; Spain for food and people; France for art and culture. And I'd better mention Cardiff for Doctor Who.
4. What, if any, channels are you subscribed to on YouTube? My favorites are Lizzie Bennet, Blimey Cow, Once Upon a Time Fans, and Charlie McDonnell.
5. Chemistry or Physics? Neither? I do a bit better in chemistry...
6. Do you play an instrument? If so, what? Guitar, amatuerly.
7. What's your favorite breakfast cereal? Just one? Cheerios. Also Life. And sometimes Corn Pops or Fruity Pebbles or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Oh, and Honeycombs!
8. How do you like your eggs cooked? Scrambled! Yum. :)
9. Do you listen to music while you blog? It depends on the post I'm writing. A review that requires more focus, not usually. But a post like this just for fun? Yes, most of the time.
10. What was the title of your first blog post? Teens Can Be Writers, Too. It's kind of ironic, because this blog is not really the 'writing niche' blog I set out for - I discovered I much prefer lifestyle blogging - but there's a blog and writers' group called Teens Can Write, Too! that I am a member of.
11. Why did you start blogging? I started blogging to prove that a teenager can write and be understood, be good at writing, even be liked for what they write. I kept writing because I wanted my voice to be heard and I loved the chance to share a piece of my heart, my mind, or my life with a world so much bigger than me. The odd thing is that, in my two years of blogging, my writing has improved so much. If I were asked now whether I think my new-blogger self was as good at writing as I thought - no way! In fact, I honestly agree a lot more now with some of the things I was rebutting in my very first post. But if I were asked whether I still believe teens can write? Yes, yes I do. I just think a lot of us don't know when the work is actually ready for the world. Some days I'm still not sure I'm ready to be published...
1. Who is the first person you can remember, from when you were young?
2. Frozen yogurt, ice cream, sherbet, or sorbet?
3. Would you consider yourself more of a logical or a creative person?
4. Your house is on fire; you have just enough time to grab one item as you run outside. What is it?
5. What's the very first thing you'd buy if you won a shopping spree or cash giveaway?
6. Fiction or nonfiction?
7. If you got engaged today and had exactly a week before the wedding, what would be your number-one planning priority?
8. Who's your favorite superhero? (Spiderman! The old one!)
9. You have to choose between never wearing makeup or never eating chocolate. What's your choice?
10. Favorite flower?
11. And stealing the same question Sarah did: Why did you start blogging?
Alas, as is usual, I can't scrape up any nominees. But, of course, you as my lovely readers are welcome to use the comments to nominate your own favorite blogs!