Wednesday, April 29, 2015

My Favorite Season

Today's poem marks the last in my series of poems for National Poetry Month in promotion of my new poetry book, Rain in December. Some of my readers, if you've been here for a while, might recognize it -- I posted this poem on the blog a long time ago. Since sharing it, I've added and completed it for publication in my book. I hope you all enjoy this new look at a previous work.





What is your favorite season?

The weather of fall is beautiful,
Glorious and bright but
Chilling and crisp.

The colors of fall are brilliant,
Red and orange and
Brown and purple.

Fall is the worst season of the year.
Fall is a season of goodbyes, of packing and
Labeling and stacking boxes.
Fall is a season of tears and uncertainty
And lasts.

Fall is the best season of the year.
Fall is a season of hellos, of fresh starts
And budding friendships and newness.
Fall is a season of beginnings and starting over
And firsts.

2007.
Fall was the worst season of that year.
Fall was the season of goodbye parties, of sorting
And cleaning and leaving.
Fall was the season of tears and uncertainty
And lasts.

2010.
Fall was the best season of that year.
Fall was the season of clean starts, of meeting
And growing and learning.
Fall was the season of beginnings and starting over
And firsts.

2011.
Fall was the best season of this year.
Fall was the season I fell in love.

2013.
Summer was the season I broke his heart.
Fall was the season I fell apart.
I don’t talk about it.

2014.
Fall is hopeful, new and fresh.
I breathe in the scent of unfamiliar pine
And breathe out the pain of the past.
Fall is once again the season of new beginnings,

And I plan to make this one worth it.

A note to fellow bloggers: my blogger-friend Kate at majesticgoldenrose is planning to start a new blog chain, and she would love for you to be involved! She's hosting a video-chat Q&A for anyone interested at 2:30 EST, Sunday, May 17 at this link. For more information, check out this flyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.