Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Christian Closet: A Pansexual Nazarene

A Pansexual Nazarene

Age: 22

Gender: Female

Sexual orientation: Pansexual

Religious denomination: Nazarene

Education/career: Pizza place

Favorite food: Anything Asian

Favorite book: To Kill a Mockingbird

Favorite movie: The Sandlot

Favorite color: Green

Hobbies/sports/interests: Swimming, anything to do with animals, watching Criminal Minds

Dreams/goals in life: To become a criminal profiler and have a good life for my partner and I, also whatever animals we have.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ

"I can't help the way I feel, and I know that God loves me no matter how I feel."

When did you first realize you were pansexual?

I have always had feelings for all genders/identifications, but I started identifying as bisexual in high school until I realized what pansexuality was.

Are you out? If so, when, how, and/or why did you come out? If not, why are you staying in the closet?

I am not out publicly, but I am out to friends, my brother, my significant other, and my mother.

How have Christians hurt you as you struggle with your sexuality?

More than I can count. I haven't told a lot of fellow Christians personally, but I have heard what they have to say about the LGBT+ community and it's pretty discouraging.

How have Christians helped or encouraged you as you struggle with your sexuality?

I get encouragement from my family in my Facebook LGBT+ support group and a tiny group of people that I'm close to.

What is one thing you wish straight cisgender Christians understood?

I can't help the way I feel, and I know that God loves me no matter how I feel. Also, that the things they say are extremely hurtful and are a lot of the time, the reason that our LGBT+ family members hurt themselves and/or take their own lives. We want to feel loved and accepted just like everyone else. We're not Martians, we're human beings, and should be treated as such.

"We want to feel loved and accepted just like everyone else. We're not Martians, we're human beings, and should be treated as such."

What is the one sexuality question you're most tired of hearing?

“Isn't that the exact same thing as being bisexual?”

What is your greatest fear about being pansexual?

I truly fear that maybe I will go to hell for how I feel/who I love.

What is your favorite thing about being pansexual?

I can check chicks out with my husband! But in all seriousness, I enjoy having interest in anyone I please, no matter their identity.

How does your family handle your sexuality?

My mother isn't happy or supportive, but she still loves me and counts me as her daughter.

1 comment:

  1. I love To Kill a Mockingbird, too! Also, I'm sorry to hear of the negativity you've experienced for your sexual orientation; that's very disappointing. And I also understand being afraid that in the end they're right and you're trapped by sin. Maybe my Lutheran is showing through, but I've always been taught that we live in a state of grace—and though I've stopped thinking that non-straight sexual orientations are a sin, I also believe that if it turns out I'm wrong, faith and acceptance of God's forgiveness overpowers any of our own sinfulness in whatever form it may take. I wish the best for your continued journey in faith and personal identity. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to have you chime in.

Comments are welcome, but I reserve the right to delete any comments or commentors as I see fit. Bullying or spam in particular will not be tolerated.

You won't see your comment appear right away, as I've recently enabled moderation. This is just to ensure I see comments and can respond, as Blogger no longer sends notifications of new comments to us blog authors. Thank you for your patience with this.